Posted on February 12, 2021
Central Synagogue is guided and inspired by Jewish tradition and our core purpose is to transform lives.
The Synagogue will employ you as a full-time Educator in The Lese Center for Living Judaism. Your responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, virtual and/or in person classroom teaching, family and parent education, social justice programming, social and holiday programming, field trips and other off-site programs, and communication with parents and other stakeholders.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Planning, implementation and assessment of curriculum and programs for students in grade K-9;
• Teaching and engaging students in grades K-9 each afternoon with occasional Shabbat teaching;
• Ongoing evaluation of student achievement in Hebrew and Judaic studies;
• Regular communication with parents;
• Family programming including Holidays, Shabbat and other programs during the week and on occasional weekends;
• Facilitating home and internet-based learning initiatives;
• Involvement in broader synagogue programming;
• And ongoing engagement with staff and congregants to foster a greater senses of Jewish community.
Full-time; Exempt and not eligible for OT
General hours when school is in session are 10:00 am to 7:00 pm, Tuesday through Thursday (depending on the days and grades you teach), 12:00pm to 7:00pm on Mondays, and 10:00 am to 4:30 pm on Fridays. Summer, Winter, and Spring break hours are 9:00 am to 5:30 pm.
Please note that you are expected to work at least one of the High Holy Days, and frequent evening and weekend work, including Shabbat.
• Bachelor’s degree (Master’s degree a plus)
• A minimum of 2 years of previous leadership experience preferred (including teaching, camp staff, youth group advisor, etc.)
• Excellent organizational and communication skills (oral, written and interpersonal)
• Knowledge of and experience with social media
• Solid Jewish background, literacy, and Hebrew language decoding and reading
• Dedication to teaching and experience working with children
• Passion for Judaism and Jewish education
• Strong work ethic, flexibility in schedule
• Familiarity with Reform Judaism
• Strong mentorship skills with children
• Ability to manage a classroom
• Experience with song leading and t’fillah a plus
• Familiarity with Project Based Learning a plus
Central Synagogue, a 503(c) religious organization, employs 80 full-time and 30+ part time staff positions in more than a dozen departments, including our Religious School; Nursery School and Early Childhood Center; clergy study; membership, finance, communications, technology, development, maintenance, events, and administrative support teams. Our staff, which we consider "a team," is committed to excellence in our work. Central offers generous benefits and paid time off to its employees. We invite you to review our current openings and apply here. Central Synagogue is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
X Central Synagogue will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, age, sexual orientation, sex, national origin, ethnicity, citizenship, military status, marital status, physical and mental disability, or any other characteristic protected by law. It is the policy of the Congregation that certain positions must be filled by persons of the Jewish faith as a bona fide occupational qualification. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment. All employees, regardless of position, are expected to maintain and contribute to this policy.
Help our Synagogue continue to shine brightly as a force of optimism and hope by donating to our annual campaign. Your gift will help support everything that makes Central unique and special.