Posted October 29, 2014
Central Synagogue has various arks in which to keep its many Torahs.
There are two arks in the main Sanctuary Building (consecrated in 1872): one in the main sanctuary and one in the Pavilion on the lower level, and there are three are in the Community House (consecrated in 1966): Beir Chapel on the lower level, the Peter J. Rubinstein Chapel, Mona Glickman Ark, on the 5th floor, and Room 903 (Meeting Room).
Each ark has space for multiple Torahs. The arks in the Pavilion, the Rubinstein Chapel, and in Room 903 are portable. The one in Room 903 is often used for Tot Shabbats. Arkady Frukhtman, a staff member since 1991 and building manager of the Community House since 2006, made the arks on the 9th floor and in the Pavilion.
Sometimes a stylized version of the main Sanctuary ark has been used in other spaces where our congregation has held worship services, such as Avery Fisher Hall and the New York State Armory.
These monthly historical briefs are prepared by Amy Goldberger, Chair of the Archives Committee and Anne Mininberg, Archivist. To submit a photo or historical document to our Archives, contact us.
Posted May 25, 2017
Posted March 17, 2017
Posted March 6, 2017
Posted February 6, 2017
Posted January 31, 2017